0 hours 45 mins
- 2 large eggs
- 20 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 c. whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasoning blend
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 c. no-sugar-added marinara sauce or tomato-based sauce
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 c. shredded whole-milk cheese
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp. julienned basil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Squeeze as much moisture out of the spinach as you can and crumble it into the eggs. Stir to combine. Stir in the ricotta, Italian seasoning, and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the marinara into an 8 × 8-inch glass baking dish. Use a spoon to spread it around so it coats the bottom of the dish (it will be a very thin coat). Place one-third of the eggplant slices in a single layer on top of the sauce,
overlapping slightly. Use a pastry brush to lightly brush about 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil over the eggplant (if you have an oil mister, this is a great tool for this job), and sprinkle the eggplant with a generous pinch of salt.
- Spoon one-third of the spinach-ricotta mixture over the eggplant and smooth it out so it covers the eggplant. Sprinkle ½ cup of the mozzarella evenly over the spinach, then spoon half of the remaining marinara over the top, doing your best to create an even layer.
- Repeat the layering process: one-third of the eggplant, 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil, season with salt, one-third of the spinach ricotta mixture, ½ cup mozzarella, and the remaining marinara sauce.
- For the final layer, arrange the final one-third of the eggplant slices, brush them with 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil and sprinkle them with salt, then cover with the remaining spinach-ricotta mixture. Mix the remaining 1 cup shredded mozzarella with the Parmesan and cover the entire top of the casserole.
- Bake until the casserole is hot and bubbling, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove it from the oven and sprinkle with the fresh basil (if using). Allow the casserole to sit for 5 minutes. Use a sharp knife to cut it into 6 equal pieces and serve.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories: 432, fat: 31 grams, carbohydrates: 17 grams, and protein: 25 grams
Recipe taken from The Keto Reset Diet Cookbook.