BULK UP BARBECUE SKEWERS | TRIM DOWN BARBECUE SKEWERS
BULK UP BARBECUE SKEWER
Adding carbs to beef up the protein party in the form of baby potatoes helps to fill your muscles with glycogen. We’ve also included mushrooms, which studies at the Beckman Research Institute in the US found helped to increase the amount of testosterone your body produces. That’s why you’ll now find mushroom extracts in various muscle-building supplements.
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
4 cloves garlic
500g eye-round beef steak
20 small button mushrooms
400g new potatoes
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 green pepper
1 tbsp mustard
2 tsp capers
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Trim fat from meat and chop into bite-size chunks. Peel shallots and slice them in half. Wipe mushrooms with paper towel and slice off ends of stalks.
2. Par-boil spuds in salted water over high heat for 8 minutes. Or pierce potatoes with fork and microwave on high for two minutes.
3. Combine balsamic vinegar, green pepper, mustard, capers, olive oil, salt and pepper into small bowl. Peel and chop four garlic cloves and add to your marinade.
4. Thread skewers by alternating meat, then shallots, potato, garlic and green pepper. Now, lay loaded skewers onto tray and drizzle marinade over until all sides are coated. Leave to rest for at least 30 minutes.
5. Light grill and give it five minutes to heat up if it’s gas, or at least 15 minutes if you’re using charcoal. Lay kebabs on grill and give them three minutes per side. The four turns required mean you’re going to have to stay close to the grill.
Per Serving: 529 calories, 41g carbohydrate, 34g protein, 22g fat, 3g fibre, 800mg sodium