1. POACHED IN TOMATO SAUCE
When making a spaghetti sauce like Bolognese, crack some eggs (1 for each serving) into the simmering sauce and cover the pan with a lid. When the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, top each person’s plate of pasta with some sauce and an egg, and serve.
2. IN A FRIED-EGG SANDWICH
Melt butter in a medium-hot pan. Add 2 eggs, yolks broken. Cook until the whites set, 1 minute. Flip; cook 30 seconds. Eat on white bread with mayo.
3. HARD-BOILED, STRAIGHT UP
Add a layer of eggs to a pot. Cover with water. Boil, turn off the heat, and cover. Wait 15 minutes. Plunge eggs into an ice bath. Peel. Salt. Eat.
4. AGGRESSIVELY FRIED
In a stainless-steel pan, heat 1/4 inch oil on high. When it smokes, add 2 eggs. Cover; cook till the edges crisp. Serve on open-faced ham and cheese.
5. IN THE BEST EGG SALAD
- Chop 3 or 4 hard-boiled eggs
- Add mayo, some chopped celery minced red onion, and 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- Serve on lettuce with a toasted baguette.
- CHANGEUP: Swap the tarragon for 1 tsp curry powder and a pinch of cayenne.
6. FOR DESSERT, AS CUSTARD
- Add 2 eggs to a measuring cup note the volume
- Add an equal amount of half-and-half
- Add 1/4 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tbsp sugar, and a pinch of salt
- Divide between 2 ramekins, cover with foil, and steam until firm, 15 minutes
- Eat warm.
7. FOR HAIR ON YOUR CHEST
- To make an incredible whiskey sour, combine 4 egg whites in a blender along with 8 ounces of bourbon or rye, 4 tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tbsp of lime juice, and 4 tbsp of simple syrup
- Blend until frothy
- Serve the cocktail over ice.
8. FRITTATA, ANY WAY YOU WISH
- Preheat the broiler
- In an oven-safe nonstick pan, cook your add-ins (potatoes, chorizo, spinach) until done
- Add whisked eggs (2 per person)
- Broil until the top sets, 2 to 3 minutes
- Upend onto a cutting board, slice, and serve with avocado.
9. PERFECTLY POACHED
Bring a pan of water to a boil and turn the heat to low. Carefully crack an egg into a slotted spoon to let some of the white drain. Lower the egg into the water. When the white sets, 2 to 3 minutes, the egg is done. Add to chicken noodle soup, Caesar salad, or roasted asparagus.
10. REALLY EASY FRESH PASTA
Combine eggs and flour (2 eggs per cup). Knead your dough until smooth and then roll it out thin. Cut it into strips and boil them in salted water.
11. SCRAMBLED IN THAT FRESH PASTA
Mix 2 egg yolks and 2 Tbsp of half-and-half. In a pan, cook 2 chopped bacon strips. Remove it from the heat, add the hot pasta, and toss with the egg.
By: Michael Ruhlman, photos: Sam Kaplan