By BJ Gaddour
If you want to get the most out of your core training, then you must focus on exercises that prevent spinal movement instead of create it. That’s because your core’s primary objective on an daily basis is to stabilize your spine—not bend it.
This routine does just that using a single resistance band. It hits your abdominal muscles in three planes of motion—without ever actually moving them. It also works larger muscle groups like your back and glutes to create a huge metabolic boost.
Here’s how to do it: Perform each move for 45 seconds, resting 15 between exercises. After you complete all the exercises, rest 1 to 2 minutes. Perform 2 to 4 rounds.
1. Band plank pulldown, left
2. Band plank pulldown, right
3. Band side plank row, left
4. Band side plank row, right
5. Band anti-rotation hold, left
6. Band anti-rotation hold, right
7. Band lying hip flexion, left
8. Band lying hip flexion, right
9. Band single-leg hip thrust, left
10. Band single-leg hip thrust, right