Save this page for a better physique: These 10 rules from our fitness experts will help you live healthier – and build a leaner, more muscular body.
1. Give equal importance to cardiovascular exercise and strength training – no matter which you prefer or what type of body you have.
2. Treat diet as an essential component of fitness, not merely a support strategy.
3. Exercise in hard, short bursts. It will get you into better shape – and help you achieve your fitness goals faster – than long, slow sessions.
4. Intersperse weight-lifting sessions targeting the big muscles with workouts that focus on strengthening the smaller, more injury-prone muscles and joints.
5. Don’t you forget to develop your muscles to be functional – they are not just for display.
6. Repeat after us: Overemphasis on crunches and sit-ups is not the way to work your mid-section and achieve six-pack abs. Try these moves instead.
7. Drink bucket-loads of water all day long. Period.
8. Don’t stretch only when you feel like it. Don’t stretch only when you need to warm up or cool down. Stretching is a fitness necessity – so give it the respect it deserves.
9. Rest is important, but that doesn’t mean you stay inactive all day. (Sitting is the new smoking.)
10. Aim for all-round clean living – there’s no better way to accelerate your fitness goals.
You may also like: