MH Recipe: Garlic Chicken With Basil And Sundried Tomato On Sourdough
March 16, 2011
After testing different types of breads, University of Guelph researchers in Canada found that sourdough came out tops. “With this bread, the subjects’ blood sugar levels were lower for a similar rise in blood insulin,” says Dr Terry Graham, a health and nutritional sciences professor who led the research. “What this means is sourdough has a low glycaemic index (GI), doesn’t cause the sugar levels in your blood to spike, and keeps you full longer. Moreover, these positive effects remained even during the subjects’ second meal, and lasted for hours.” He attributes the benefits of sourdough bread to its fermentation process, which probably changes the nature of its starches.
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 piece chicken breast (100g)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 slices sourdough bread, 1.5cm thick (200g)
- Salt and black pepper
- 6 strips marinated sundried tomato (15g)
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add canola oil.
- Using a knife, score the chicken breast by cutting lines, about 5mm deep, across the grain of the flesh. Crush the garlic clove and rub it all over the chicken breast.
- Next, fry the breast for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (turning once or twice), until it is golden brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 2 to 3 minutes, for excess liquid to drain. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the sandwich by stacking bread, chicken, tomato strips, basil and bread. Serve.
- Options: Toast the bread for 5 minutes for added crunch. Then spread some cream cheese for a richer texture. Each tablespoon (10g) adds 35 calories.
YOU MAKE: 1 serving
PER SERVING: 780 calories, 47g protein, 11g fat, 7g fibre, 124g carbohydrate, 2.5mg sodium
Latest Weight Loss & Nutrition Stories
Elite American fitness trainer, BJ Gaddour shows you how to torch it – permanently – with these five gut-busting tricks.
Don't let modern life drive your manliness into extinction.
You don't have to be a vegangelist to enjoy a good yield of benefits from plant milks. In fact, we advise pouring over the options.
The biggest lie told by weight-loss gurus: You can cut calories without feeling hungry. You can’t.
This simple trick could help you pick the grilled chicken salad over the deep fried chicken chop with coke at the Western stall.
- 1 of 118